Friends of the Bixby Memorial Free Library
The purpose of the Friends of the Bixby Library is to raise funds in support of the Library and to provide monies for special programs, services and activities. The Friends are members of the community who volunteer to help out with special projects and ongoing programs that serve the Library mission of spreading learning and education. We encourage interest in the Bixby Library and promote its services.
The fundraising and volunteer activities of the Friends help provide “extras” for the Library above and beyond what is covered under regular operating costs. For example, the Friends raise money for Library projects and programs, such as Third Thursday, Holiday Stroll, and the annual plant sale as well as other fundraising activities. The Friends group has raised money to help refurbish the Community Room with new paint, wiring, carpeting, etc. This room had not had any changes for many years, so it was time for needed repairs, maintenance and freshening. We have done the same with the Children’s Room.
How are we different from the Library Trustees?
The Board of Trustees establishes the Library’s mission, policy, and is responsible for all phases of the Library’s operation, including the operating budget, endowment fund, and the care and maintenance of the building, grounds, and all the other assets.
The Friends are caring, organized volunteers who support the Board by raising funds and working with Library staff to provide special programs that make our Library unique. Most Board members are Friends, and Friends sometimes become Board members when openings occur.
Projects and Activities of the Friends
- Monthly Third Thursday evening presentations by various interesting speakers on topics of interest to the community
- Organizing, collecting plant donations and staffing of the Annual Plant Sale in May
- Holiday Stroll in December
- Periodic fundraising events such as Wine Tasting, Art Shows, etc.
- One-time expenditures for equipment, such as public computers, a Powerpoint projector, etc., that help Library staff and programs.
- Funding special acquisitions
Gifts from the Friends to the Bixby Library
The Friends were organized in 2002, and in a short period of time the following gifts have been made possible through the fund raising efforts and generosity of the Friends:
- Painting, carpeting, rewiring, and blinds for the Community Room
- Outdoor plantings and memorial bench
- Painting, rewiring and blinds for the Children’s Room
- Refrigerator used by staff and for special events
- Various Library equipment, including computers
- Creation of the Otter Creek Room/ new Book Sale Room on ground floor
- New Bixby Library Sign located on Main Street
For nominal annual dues anyone can be a member of the Friends of the Bixby.
We meet monthly in the Community Room on the 1st floor. Check Adult Program calendar for meeting dates.
As a Friend you will have the opportunity to work on library events and programs. Most importantly, you will get to know others in the community who share your interest and concern in promoting lifelong learning through Bixby. If interested call the library (877-2211).