Initially housed on the second floor, the Vermont Collection can be found today in the Vermont Room, which is located to the right of the main desk. Of interest to browsers and researchers, the Vermont Collection contains volumes about Vermont, fiction and nonfiction by Vermonters, and Vermont documents. It is supplemented with a collection of unique, local history documents in our History Room.
Readers will find a wealth of information in earlier works by local historical societies and historians–for example, histories of Addison, Ferrisburgh, Panton, and Vergennes (the latter by Kenneth Degree), and many centennial and bicentennial celebration works regarding churches, towns, etc. Well known and lesser known writers are represented in the Vermont collection–Ira Allen, Calvin Coolidge, Dorothy Canfield Fisher, Robert Frost, Walter Hard, Abby Hemenway, Ralph Nading Hill, Murray Hoyt, Cornelia Meigs, Charles T. Morrissey, Noel Perrin, Esther Swift, Samuel Swift, and H. P. Smith.
All Vermont holdings are listed in the online catalog, though some Vermont Books and some local genealogical records are stored on the second floor in the History Room and are not listed in the catalog. These History Room items do not circulate and may be used in the library. History researchers are recommended to call (877-2211) and schedule an appointment for use of these materials.
Works of current popular Vermont authors, for adults and children, are shelved with the general collections (for example, Julia Alvarez, Chris Bohjalian, Archie Mayor, Howard Frank Mosher, Jesse Haas, Karen Hesse, and Katherine Paterson).
A sampling of Vermont titles of interest :
- Shaw, Lisa Vermont: Off the Beaten Track, A Guide to Unique Places. Old Saybrook, CT: The Globe Pequot Press, 1996.
- Bassett, Elizabeth Nature Walks in Northern Vermont and the Champlain Valley.. Boston, MA: Appalachian Mountain Club Books, 1998.
- Bazilchuk, Nancy and Strimbeck, Rick.Longstreet Highroad Guide to the Vermont Mountains. Marietta, GA: Longstreet Press, inc., 1999.
- Fass, Philip N. and Burrington, Merilyn S., eds.Who’s Who in Vermont. Middlebury, VT: regional Facts, Inc., 1991.
- Addison County’s Finest Vermont Recipes. Edited by Kimberly Werner. Illustrations by Todd Cummings. Middlebury, VT: Palatine Books, 1995.
- Schildge, Sue. Vermont: A Culinary Journey. Plattsburgh, NY: Schildge Publishing Company, 1995.
- Williams, J. C., Corp., Co. B, 14th Reg’t.Life in Camp: A History of the Nine Months’ Service of the Fourteenth Regiment, From October 21, 1862, When It Was Mustered Into the U.S. Service, to July 31, 1863, Including the Battle of GettysburgClaremont, NH: The Claremont Manufacturing Company,1864. Reissued by Civil War Enterprises, Newport, Vermont.
For further information regarding the Vermont collection, patrons may call 877-2211.