Friends of the Bixby Memorial Free Library
The purpose of the Friends of the Bixby Library is to raise funds in support of the Library and to provide monies for special programs, services and activities. The Friends are members of the community who volunteer to help out with special projects and ongoing programs that serve the Library mission of spreading learning and education. We encourage interest in the Bixby Library and promote its services.
The fundraising and volunteer activities of the Friends help provide “extras” for the Library above and beyond what is covered under regular operating costs. For example, the Friends raise money for Library projects and programs, such as the Holiday Stroll, Preschool & Daycare Outreach and the annual plant sale as well as other fundraising activities.
How are we different from the Library Trustees?
The Board of Trustees establishes the Library’s mission, policy, and is responsible for all phases of the Library’s operation, including the operating budget, endowment fund, and the care and maintenance of the building, grounds, and all the other assets.
The Friends are caring, organized volunteers who support the Board by raising funds and working with Library staff to provide special programs that make our Library unique. Some Board members are Friends, but volunteering for the Friends is not part of the Board’s regular duties.
Projects and Activities of the Friends
- Organizing and collecting plant donations and staffing of the Annual Plant Sale in May
- Holiday Stroll in December
- The weekly book sale held on the lower level of the library.
Gifts from the Friends to the Bixby Library
The Friends were organized in 2002, and since then the following gifts have been made possible through the fund-raising efforts and generosity of the Friends:
- Creation of the Otter Creek Room/ Book Sale Room on ground floor
- New Bixby Library Sign located on Main Street
- Sponsorship of the Bixby Gala
- Promotion of early literacy by ongoing support of Addison County readers through the Dolly Parton Imagination Library
- Maiden Vermont Singers performance at the annual Holiday Stroll celebration at the Bixby
- Youth Services librarian Literacy and STEM outreach to area daycares and preschools
For nominal annual dues anyone can be a member of the Friends of the Bixby. We meet monthly in the Bixby Library. Check the event calendar for meeting dates. As a Friend you will have the opportunity to work on library events and programs. Most importantly, you will get to know others in the community who share your interest and concern in promoting lifelong learning through Bixby. If interested call the library (877-2211) or Karlene Devine (877-6392).
Friends of The Bixby Library Book Sales
The Friends of the Bixby Library book sale is one of our largest regular fundraisers for the library! For 2022 books sales will be held on the following Saturdays, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm: June 4th, July 9th, August 27th, September 24th (also Plant sale day!), and Dec 3rd.
The Friends of the Bixby Library will be accepting donations on the following Thursdays, from 3:00 pm-6:00 pm outside in the parking lot behind the Bixby: June 2nd, July 7th, August 25th, and September 22nd. The Bixby Library does not accept book donations except through the Friends.
They will NOT accept:
- Books with mildew, musty, dog-eared, or underlined and marginal markings
- All encyclopedias, Readers Digest Condensed books, textbooks, sets with copyright before 2007 (Life, Time, etc.)
- Magazines or pamphlets
- Paperback fiction with broken spines (use your judgment)
- Adult Fiction published before 2006(except for classics in good condition and Vermont authors)
- Older editions of travel guides or other books that come out with new editions each year