Located in the library’s Vermont Room, the Bixby’s renowned Vermont Collection contains volumes about Vermont and the surrounding region, fiction and non-fiction by Vermonters, and Vermont documents. Readers will find a wealth of information in earlier works by local historical societies and historians, including histories of Addison, Ferrisburgh, Panton, and Vergennes (the latter by Kenneth Degree), and many centennial and bicentennial celebration works regarding churches, towns, and other local landmarks.
Well-known and lesser-known writers are represented in the Vermont collection, including Ira Allen, Calvin Coolidge, Dorothy Canfield Fisher, Robert Frost, Walter Hard, Abby Hemenway, Ralph Nading Hill, Murray Hoyt, Cornelia Meigs, Charles T. Morrissey, Noel Perrin, Esther Swift, Samuel Swift, and H. P. Smith. Works of current popular Vermont authors, including Julia Alvarez, Chris Bohjalian, Archie Mayor, Howard Frank Mosher, Jesse Haas, Karen Hesse, and Katherine Paterson, are shelved with the general collections.
All Vermont Collection titles are listed in the online catalog and can be checked out with a library card for three weeks. A portion of our Vermont books and local genealogical records are stored in our Archives and are non-circulating. To view these titles or documents, researchers should call us at (802) 877-2211 to schedule an appointment.
A sampling of Vermont titles of interest :
- Shaw, Lisa Vermont. Off the Beaten Track, A Guide to Unique Places. Old Saybrook, CT: The Globe Pequot Press, 1996.
- Bassett, Elizabeth. Nature Walks in Northern Vermont and the Champlain Valley. Boston, MA: Appalachian Mountain Club Books, 1998.
- Bazilchuk, Nancy and Strimbeck, Rick. Longstreet Highroad Guide to the Vermont Mountains. Marietta, GA: Longstreet Press, inc., 1999.
- Fass, Philip N. and Burrington, Merilyn S., eds. Who’s Who in Vermont. Middlebury, VT: regional Facts, Inc., 1991.
- Addison County’s Finest Vermont Recipes. Edited by Kimberly Werner. Illustrations by Todd Cummings. Middlebury, VT: Palatine Books, 1995.
- Schildge, Sue. Vermont: A Culinary Journey. Plattsburgh, NY: Schildge Publishing Company, 1995.
- Williams, J. C., Corp., Co. B, 14th Reg’t. Life in Camp: A History of the Nine Months’ Service of the Fourteenth Regiment, From October 21, 1862, When It Was Mustered Into the U.S. Service, to July 31, 1863, Including the Battle of Gettysburg. Claremont, NH: The Claremont Manufacturing Company,1864. Reissued by Civil War Enterprises, Newport, Vermont.
For further information regarding the Vermont collection, patrons may call (802) 877-2211.