The Bixby Memorial Free Library provides a variety of services to people with disabilities. To request an accommodation, please call the library at (802) 877-2211 or ask a staff member at the Circulation Desk.
Access to the Library
The building has two lifts that provide access to the first and second floors. To access the first floor, take the sidewalk from the back parking lot to our ADA-entrance. Ring the bell or call us and a staff member will come down to let you into the lift. A stair lift located in the lobby provides access to the second floor.
Our library has large print books and audiobooks available in the building and online at GMLC, hoopla, and The Palace Project. The library also has DVDs with audio descriptions. Online films with audio descriptions are available for streaming through hoopla and kanopy.
The library owns several assistive devices that can be used by persons in the building. To use one of these devices, ask a staff member at the Circulation Desk.
- Hand-held magnifying glass
- Full page magnifier with LED lights
- Reading glasses
- Writing guides, including a signature guide and check-writing guide
- Bright line reading guides
- Braille & large print rulers
- Pocketalker sound amplifier with headphones: use this small personal amplifier to improve listening and communications with library staff or in a library program. Can be used with personal hearing aids.
Fine Motor Skills Assistance:
- Book holder stand: to hold books and magazines of various sizes.
- Ergo pencil grips: to provide greater comfort to right and left-handed pen and pencil users, especially those with arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
This assistive device program is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a federal agency, through the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the Vermont Department of Libraries.
The ABLE Library serves blind Vermonters and anyone with a visual impairment or print, reading, or learning disability. The ABLE Library—housed at the Vermont State Library—is a network library for the National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled (NLS) and connects patrons of all ages to NLS services, which includes a collection of large print and digital talking books featuring all genres, print braille picture books, as well as audio-described DVDs.
To receive services, which are free to qualifying Vermonters, fill out and submit the Application for ABLE Library Services.