The Bixby Library is currently offering remote services while we navigate the demands of Covid-19. We are bringing the library to you! We are available by email, live chat (in the corner during our normal business hours), or by phone (802-877-2211), please be patient and we will reach back out to you as soon as possible.
We have greatly increased our digital offerings. Please check out our online resources to check out all the ebooks, audiobooks, databases, and more that you can access with your Bixby Library card. Check our events calendar for virtual programming. Follow us on Facebook for weekly fun, local information, and other updates. We are also offering curbside pick up for physical materials, please find out how here.
Children’s Weekly Storytime
Meet with Ms. Laura every Thursday morning at 10:30 am on Bixby Library’s Facebook Live. Bixby online story times are designed for preschool age children, though all are welcome. We explore songs, stories, share art and fun. Families get to know one another over time, and children delight in making friends from many of the area towns. Preschool literacy creates a foundation of curiosity and desire for reading.
While the building is closed, there are many online story hours you can check out. Here are a few we recommend!
- Bixby Facebook Live – Thursday at 10:30am
- Ilsley Public Library Recorded Story Hours
- Fletcher Free Stories with Megan
- Vermont Virtual Storytimes
- PBS Kids Read along with Michelle Obama
- Goodnight with Dolly Parton
Bixby Take Home Crafts
Once a month, Miss Laura and our amazing volunteer Sandy will be creating a seasonal craft for families with children to take home from the Bixby Library. Check our website’s front page and our social media accounts for upcoming crafts!
Online Children’s Author Resources recommended by the Youth Librarian
- Richard Scarry
- Pete the Cat (Kimberly & James Dean)
- Mo Willems (Elephant & Piggie, Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus)
- Fancy Nancy (Jane O’Connor)
- Tui T. Sutherland (Wings of Fire)
- Kate Messner (VT author)
- Stuart Gibbs (Last Musketeers)
- Raina Telgemeier (Guts, Baby-sitters club)
- Angela Burke Kunkel (VT author)
- Wendy Maas (Bob, Pie in the Sky)
- Nathan Hale (Hazardous Tales)
- Dav Pilkey (Captain Underpants, Dog Man)
- Brandon Mull (Beyonders)
- Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson)
- Rachel Renee Russel (Dork Diaries, Max Crumbly)
- Patrick Ness (A monster calls)
- Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games)
- Neil Gaiman (Coraline, The Graveyard Book)
- Laini Taylor (Daughters of Smoke and Bone)
- Sarah J. Maas (Court of Thorns and Roses)
- Cassandra Clare (Mortal Instruments, City of Bones)
- John Green (The Fault in Our Stars)
- Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles)
- Neil Schusterman (Arc of a Scythe)
- Scott Westerfield (Uglies, Leviathan)
- Sir Terry Prachett (Discworld)
- J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter)
Additional Online Resources recommended by the Youth Librarian
- Common Sense Media
- Time for Kids
- Talking with children about Corona Virus (CDC)
- Six Age-Appropriate Books and Resources for Teaching Kids about COVID-19 (KQED)
- Black Lives Matter – Read Aloud Children’s Books
- Let’s Talk (Teaching Tolerance Guide from the SPLC)
- Anti Defamation League – Anti Bias Education
- Zoological Society of London – London Zoo
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Shedd Aquarium
- The Nature Conservancy
- Sand Glass Theater
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems
- Thankorama with Mo Willems
- Parents – Arts & Crafts
- Dav Pilkey at Home
- Vermont Art Online
- Music for Sprouts
- Linsey Pollak (musician)
- National Geographic 360
- National Geographic Kids – Explore
- Buckingham Palace
- Colonial Williamsburg
- Ellis Island
- American Museum of Natural History
- Storytime from space
- Math Playground
- Math Blaster
- BBC bitesize
- Harper Collins at Home
- Renegades of Middle Grade (book suggestions)
Thank you to our supporters!
Many, many thanks to the Sons of the American Legion Post 14 and to the Vergennes Rotary for their generous sponsorship of all the library programs! They have made our purchase of an award winning children’s book collection possible every year as well as supported programs such, Booked for Bikes. If you know a member of the Sons of American Legion or the Vergennes Rotary, please thank them. Find out how you can support the Bixby Library here.
Library Cards for All Ages!
Any age is welcome to get their own library card! Anyone under 16 will be required to have a parent/guardian with a Bixby account, and the youth account will be nested under this account. Currently, to receive a card, please email your Full name, Address, and Phone Number to email@example.com or call (802) 877 – 2211.
Second Saturdays – On Hiatus
Second Saturdays are a variety of programs designed for children of different ages. They are held on the second Saturday of each month. Saturdays offer a time for area children to gather at the Bixby with friends, classmates and neighbors. Programs can also be a chance for parents to spend time with their child after a busy work week.
Outreach is available to registered, certified, childcare facilities in the Addison Northwest District from the Bixby Library. Services include the delivery of books and other materials for loan. For more information about the Childcare Outreach Program please call the library at (802) 877-2211.