We Love Our Bixby Volunteers!
And the library just couldn’t run without them!
Bixby Volunteers enjoy lending their time and talents independently or as a team to a variety of need areas. Which one appeals to you? To schedule a time to explore your interests, just complete the form below.
Immediate Openings (as of July 2022)
- Circulation Desk, especially Wednesdays from 5-7 pm and Saturdays between 10-3 pm
- Computer software upgrade support
- A healthcare professional to advise on the distribution and collection of COVID-19 self-test kits at the Bixby as part of the CDC’s COVID-19 community testing program.
- Board of Trustees
- The Bixby Memorial Free Library is governed by a Board of Trustees representing the towns of Addison, Ferrisburgh, Panton, and Waltham and the city of Vergennes.
- Circulation and Welcome Desk
- Circ Desk volunteers work a weekly morning, afternoon, or evening shift, helping all who enter the library feel welcomed and supported. They check out and shelve books and often help with staff projects between serving patrons.
- We don’t like to play favorites but we REALLY love welcoming our teen volunteers. These volunteers usually come to the library after school and/or on Saturday mornings to work closely with the staff on a wide variety of projects ranging from preparing crafts for the kids, to book reviews, to research projects, to helping with the ongoing quest of getting all of our spaces organized and tidy. Snacks provided!
- Building Maintenance
- Our beautiful, beloved, old building takes a lot of care and maintenance to keep it in good shape. We welcome those who enjoy small repair projects, wood refinishing, making a trip to the transfer station and advising on larger improvement projects.
- Historical Collections
- The Bixby has a highly experienced core volunteer team helping to organize and make more accessible our archives, objects, and artifacts reflecting the fascinating and inspiring local history of our area. There is always more to do here, so please let us know if you are interested in learning more.
- Fundraising Event Planning and Staffing
- As you know, every dollar raised for the library goes a long way to providing programming, services, books, and digital resources. When we create fundraisers, like the Bixby Gala, we work to have them as enjoyable and convivial to organize as they are to attend.
- Programming and Expertise Sharing
- Part of the library’s community-based sustainability model is to be a place where we can come together to share and exchange knowledge, expertise, skills, and ideas. Have something that you love doing that you’d be willing to share with and/or teach others? We’d love to hear from you!
- Information Technology Support
- We are always running into tech issues that we know someone out there in the community could easily troubleshoot and maybe even fix. Is that you?
- Special Populations and Outreach
- Know of someone who could benefit from the services of the library but may be reluctant or unable to come to the building? We are looking for new and creative ways to reach out to those whose lives we could help with our offerings. Ideas or suggestions?
We’d love for you to join us in providing essential services and connections with people in our five towns. Just fill out the form below to let us know your interests and we’ll be in touch to discuss where the best fit might be.
Your Bixby Staff Team